Lessons & Courses
Thank you for taking an interest in Adult, Student, and Bulldog Swim School lessons. We also offer American Red Cross Lifeguard Certification courses.Register Online
Adult & Student Lessons
Adult and MSU Student lessons are offered privately or in a group setting. The purpose of each lesson is for students to learn water safety and become comfortable in an aquatic facility. Each lesson is taught by our certified Swim Lesson University Instructors. Throughout the lessons, you will learn pool safety and basic swim skills. We hope you have a great time in the course, but more importantly, learn to be safe around water.
Bulldog Swim School
Bulldog Swim School offers five different levels of group swim lessons for children starting at 6 months-12 years of age. All courses use Swim Lesson University curriculum and are taught by Swim Lesson University instructors. Parent/Toddler courses are offered for children 6 months-2 years of age, Little Bulldog courses are aimed towards children 3-4 years of age, Junior Bulldog courses are aimed towards children 5-7 years of age, and Varsity Bulldogs courses are aimed to children 8-12 years of age. The cost of each course is $45, including 6 classes that are 45 minutes long. There are four different offerings of the group lessons throughout the fall semester, over a 2 week period on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday afternoons.
Class Information: A single course includes six classes, 45 minutes per class. All for $45!
Time Schedule: Parent/Toddlers: TBA for Fall 2017
Little Bulldogs I/II: 5:00 pm
Junior Bulldogs I/II: 6:00 pm
Varsity Bulldogs I/II: 7:pm
After completion of Bulldog Swim School Course I (beginner), participants are encouraged to register for Course II (intermediate). Students who complete both sessions will receive a Bulldog Swim School shirt!
|August||21st, 22nd, 23rd
28th, 29th, 31st
18th, 19th, 21st
|October||9th, 10th, 12th
16th, 17th, 18th
|November||6th, 7th, 8th
13th, 14th, 16th
Register in the Sanderson Center Membership Office or online at urec.msstate.edu
Bulldog Swim School Policies
Please help us continue to offer safe and fun classes by observing the following policies:
- The cost of the course must be paid in full when you sign your child up.
- Participants and guests must follow all University Recreation and Aquatics rules while in the Sanderson Center.
- If you wish to take your child out of the course and get a refund, you must do so before the beginning of the second class. After the second class has started, no refunds in full or in part will be issued for any reason.
- There are no make-up classes for a missed lesson. Private lessons can be scheduled, for an additional fee, to practice skills.
- If you and your child arrive late to class, please ask the Welcome Center attendant to allow you to escort your child to the natatorium.
- Family and friends of swim lesson participants are not allowed to use the facility for exercise or recreation unless they are Sanderson Center members. We encourage guests to wait in the natatorium throughout the lesson.
- If you are not a Sanderson Center member, your child is only allowed to swim during lesson times and only under the supervision of a Sanderson Center Swim Instructor.
- For safety reasons, please do not drop off or pick up your child from the street or parking lot. Please escort them to and from the building.
- Please do not have your child change clothes on the pool deck. An Assisted Changing Room is available for your convenience.
- If a class session is cancelled by the Department of University Recreation or by the instructor, a make-up session will be offered at no additional cost to you.
Lifeguard Certificate Course
Lifeguard Certification courses are offered through the American Red Cross Association. Learn how to effectively prevent and respond to water emergencies through lifeguard training. The course is designed to arm you with the skills and knowledge to prepare for a variety of scenarios in and around the water. Through the American Red Cross curriculum, you will learn how quick response times and effective preparation are vital to being a lifeguard, while also understanding the crucial elements in helping prevent drownings and injuries. The course is $215 for MSU Students and University Affiliates , $235 for Non-Affiliates.
- Participant must be 15 years of age on the first day of the course
- Swim 300 yards continuously
- Tread for two minutes only using legs
- Complete a timed event in under 1 minute, 40 seconds: swim 20 yards, surface dive 7-10 feet to retrieve a 10lb object, return to surface, and swim 20 yards back to starting mark.